For the guy who never gets sick, he did it big with this one!!
So he's been feeling bad since the 13th with fever and sweats. We assumed he had the flu since many of the people that we went to Cancun with, had gotten the flu. We did some over the counter meds. They weren't enough and he was getting so weak, so we had a doctor call in some medication. That was still not relieving the symptoms, so we went to see the doctor on the 18th. His oxygen was low but after a breathing treatment, it improved. They sent us home with the breathing treatment machine, different medication and had Ryan go in for a chest Xray. The Xray was clear and ruled out pneumonia, so we were still thinking the flu.
He was doing his breathing treatments and taking his medication. His fever would break at times, but the sweats never stopped. On the 20th, I finally went and bought an oximeter (I had no idea that I could've done these so easily and so much sooner) since he was so weak and it read 82! I started panicking a bit, but stayed calm on the outside and said, "we're getting in the car now and going to the hospital."
I took him to Christus Mother Frances in Tyler. The ER was pretty quick and did a great job getting him on oxygen as soon as they brought him into the take-in area. He also had a CT scan pretty quickly which confirmed double pneumonia. The doctor said it looked like "a stained-glass window" in there.
It was rough...he was so weak...they had to up the oxygen and up it again overnight.
We had to move ER rooms and by the morning, I was having to argue with people that his oxygen was not staying where it needed to be, so they got a respiratory therapist in there. The respiratory therapist ordered a Airvo...a high flow oxygen machine. It worked wonders and kept his oxygen level steady above 90. We finally got to a private and large room in the lung/heart hospital on the afternoon of the 21st.
Of course, Keeley sent a sweet note with some sweet treats:)
The girls came to visit...Fyn had just gotten home from camp earlier that day on the 21st and couldn't bear to leave us. They got to share the couch, and I had the chair for sleep. I'm glad they stayed:)
They took blood, more blood, and more blood!!
Ryan's veins were giving out and they would have to put in more IV's. I felt so bad for him and the veins would start stinging when they would blow out. There were not positive results for any of the blood tests. The doctors were testing for bacterial, viral and fungal infections with no luck. The 22nd and the 23rd were spent not knowing what was going to happen and not getting any answers from the blood tests. He remained on the high flow oxygen and still was feeling awful. Justin, Sandi, Makenzi and Libby came to visit. They sure surprised me when they walked in the door. It was nice to see them!
When Ry stayed with Ryan on the 23rd, Jacey and Chloe brought her a drink by the hospital:)
Oh!! It's the 24th and he's feeling a bit better with his ET finger!!
They lowered his oxygen and he maintained his levels!!
Rylie went to pick up Katie, on this day, from TbarM in New Braunfels. I just needed her home not knowing what was to come with this sickness.
We got him a shower, a change of clothes and chair time!! So excited...things are looking better!
It's the 25th and we get to go home today!! He's off the oxygen and maintaining his levels. He's walked some laps around the halls and handling it well! PRAISE JESUS!
All in all, we have no known cause for the double pneumonia. Ryan is convinced that it's from the bat poop in the Cenotes (fresh water caves) that we toured while in Cancun. We'll never know but I'm just thankful that he's well!
We received so many prayers, calls, offers of help, food dropped off and well wishes from our friends and family members and we're so very grateful!